Converged Infrastructure Comparison
These types of storage solutions are well suited for any workload that requires Webscale/rapid Scale-out or horizontal scale, such as ; BUSINESS CENTRIC, SMB 10-20 VMs. LOB / Business Critical Applications (BCAs), VDI, Test/Dev, DMZ, Small Projects, Small Sites or Remote Branch Sites..(Application Scale-Out – I would add High performance Applications that require a spot solutions rather than shared infrastructure.)
Its very important to understand that these scale out solutions can’t replace existing SANs providing FC, NFS or CIFS.. example; Nutanix can not provide CIFS. NetApp provides CIFS natively to windows environments for Windows file share.
These Scale out solutions are perfect for issues with Traditional SANs:
NoSAN: This is a good article describing why traditional SAN solutions are not suitable for Webscale / scale-out requirements – http://www.joshodgers.com/2013/10/24/scaling-problems-with-traditional-shared-storage/
what,why,who,where, when, how
- Software Defined Storage – Datacore- Explain?
- All Flash Arrays – Purestorage
- Converged Infrastructure – EMC VSPEC
- Hyper converged Infrastructure – Nutanix
- (Gartner for each item)
- Opportunity – help customers navigate through the weeds
Nutanix is a very interesting solution as it combines Compute and Storage in to a single platform. They have integration with other hardware vendors. Atm, it is only Dell. I hope they will start to support enterprise hardware vendors like, Lennov, HP and SuperMicro. PS: If you want to buy dell server, go ahead and just buy ASUS Servers.. !!!
Native CIFS is not provided. This is a huge problem for Nutanix and I hope they will resolve this in future features.
Nutanix hardware platforms are very expensive. The advantage is the ability for Rapid Webscale-IT with little engineering costs. Minimising Non-recurring engineering costs. Nutanix also provide on tested hardware platform.
- Nutanix Software Edition Comparison – http://www.nutanix.com/software/
- Nutanix Hardware Platforms – http://www.nutanix.com/the-nutanix-solution/tech-specs/
- Large Data Sets (Archival)
- File Only or Object Data
- Capex sensitive – When budget is available to be send before certain time.
- High IOPS and transitional or sequential data.
- VDI with Ex Citrix Sales people
- Nutanix + Citrix VDI PoC (Ready to Go Citrix (lates version.) PoC ResSoftware, Single Node.)
- Deployment of OS and Application for increased Services Revenue (Get me in there to identify it for you.)
- Standalone Apps that require no other contention of separate administration
- RAPID POC
EMC VCE VBLOCK
EMC VSPEC BLUE
EMC SCALE IO
SUPERMICRO + VSAN
Server + Citrix Melio