Personally identifiable information (PII) Examples
PII is any data that could potentially identify a specific individual. Any information that can be used to distinguish one person from another and can be used for de-anonymizing anonymous data can be considered PII.
- John Smith + Trustwave = GDPR
- John Smith + Phone Number = GDPR
- email@example.com = GDPR
- PII; car number plate, national insurance , passport number, NI Number all = GDPR
- 407 Southway Drive Plymouth + John Smith = GDPR (fictitious address)
- Post Code + car reg = GDPR
- Medical record = GDPR
- Cookies = GDPR
- IPaddress = GDPR
- Princess Diana does not apply to GDPR as she has deceased.
- Prince William = GDPR
- Essentially any information that can identify a living person can be in scope of GDPR even indirectly can come into scope of GDPR:
- For example if I was to write a blog then just by the content of the blog if I can be identified , i.e. by style of writing or subject it could indirectly come into GDPR