Cloud Fails – Told you So..
It’s amazing the amount of poorly executed strategic decisions vendors make.. Here is a few for history sake..
Someone people might thinks this is very arrogant but a recent announcement by Citrix below is proof of facts and this article was written before that announcement. I just can’t help myself. ( remember , just like a email no one forced you to read either.)
- Citrix acquisition of Cloud.com and CloudStack.. (I know this one very well, as I had to try to sell this to the enterprise.) It has been dropped by Citrix. No signs of life!
- Citrix acquisition of EMS Cortex, specifically built for channel partners to setup hosting services for Microsoft solutions such as Exchange as a Service,etc.. again. No signs of life. PROVED – https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/01/11/a-new-home-accelerite-to-acquire-cloudplatform/
- HPE Helion Public Cloud – Dead
- Soon to be dead – Verizon Cloud offering based on AMD SeaMicro – another based on Cloudstack!!! Try designing designing a multi-vpn solution in cloudstack.. soon to be killed by Microsoft multi-tenancy licensing restrictions. Any major deals ?? eh eh eh ? PROVED – http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2016/02/12/verizon-shutting-down-public-cloud-gives-users-one-month-to-move-data/?
- RackSpace OpenStack cloud platform, dumped. Sotflayer thinks it can do the same and succeed..
- Citrix acquisition of XenServer, then partnering with Microsoft to lead with Hyper-V on Deals = XenServer Dead. Brilliant.
- OpenStack – A bid you good luck sir, Tinkers love OpenStack, cause they love to Tinker with things that won’t work. CIO be aware..
- VMware vCloud Air – Vmware seems to be procrastinating and not developing new features for this services. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place, they will cannibalize the partner eco-system if they execute poorly . ( I am sure if u work for VMware you will disagree. What would I know.. )
- Softlayer – Massive Gaps in capabilities, betting on OpenStack. OpenStack is fools gold. When you understand the architecture you will realize its perfect for academia only. Cisco MetaCloud would be a much better option
The intricacies of Cloud Computing is immense, you need to have years of Infrastructure experience to understand the complexity of migrating Enterprise Workloads or platform 2 and 2.5 to IaaS. If you have any questions get in touch.
This message will self-destruct when the heat gets a bit too hot..